Nokian Tyres has started evaluation at the new Test Centre in Santa Cruz de la Zarza, Spain.
All ten tracks are being used to test tyres in extreme conditions, along with the 7km-long oval track.
“All our test centres are investments in innovativeness and the expansion of testing activities is a big and important leap for us,” said Nokian head of R&D, Olli Seppälä.
“The versatile tracks and modern equipment of the Spain test centre enable us to test tyres on wet and dry, so heavy rain or intense heat will not bring any surprises. The Spain Test Centre, combined with [the] Ivalo winter Test Centre in Lapland, take our overall testing capability to the highest possible level.”
The Test Centre enables the company to speed up product development cycles.
“Now we can test our tyres in our own test centre in all the conditions they are developed for. This is a big competitive advantage for us – especially when considering the products developed for the Central European market as well as for the North American market.
Construction work of the Test Centre began in 2018. Due to COVID-19, construction work was halted for a brief period, but continued once the situation stabilised and necessary safety measures were taken.
- The location in Spain enables year-round testing of summer, all-season and winter tyres
- In the 300-hectare area, there are several test tracks for dry and wet testing, as well as the high-speed oval enabling testing at speeds of up to 300 km/h
- The centre uses technologies such as more than 1,000 solar panels, water recycling, and white roofs
- Nokian Tyres is involved in researching new bio-based materials near the site to enable sustainable tyre production in the future
- Spain Test Centre is Nokian’s third testing facility. It complements Nokian’s tyre testing network, which consists of a 700-hectare site in Ivalo, Finnish Lapland and a site near the Finnish headquarters in Nokia