Lexus LX600 Instead Of The LC300 – For Better Or Worse?
Toyota pulled the plug on the Land Cruiser by not bringing the new 300 series to the U.S. It was a big improvement over its predecessor, which lived on for 14 years. The company made enormous changes to it, including ditching the thirsty V-8 in favor of a couple of V-6s. But, despite that, the company decided not to get it Stateside.
However, there were hushed talks that the automaker will introduce the Lexus LX here instead. And, as it turns out, those rumors were true.
The company teased the Lexus LX600 and noted that it will arrive on 14th October. However, the U.S. launch time is October 13, 12:30 p.m. ET.
While the teaser doesn’t mention its U.S. status, the marque confirmed to Car and Driver that it will be sold Stateside.
The teaser shows the derriere of the bulky SUV and it looks pretty sharp and smart There’s a full-width LED strip with the Lexus branding right under it in the center. The SUV is moniker’d LX600, which suggests it would feature a 6.0-liter engine. But, we know that’s not going to happen. In fact, it will also ditch the V-8 that’s seen in the LX570. Since it is a luxurious Land Cruiser 300 in its essence, we will be getting the latter’s engine options. The LC300 comes with two 3.5-liter, twin-turbo mills. One of them is an oil burner, whereas the other drinks gasoline. The gas option is what we can expect here.
The same engine is also present in the recently-revealed Toyota Tundra. In the LC300, it puts out 409 horses and 479 pound-feet of torque. In the Tundra, it makes 20 horses fewer – 389 horses and 479 pound-feet of torque. The LX600 doesn’t have the ‘h’ prefix, which means it won’t debut in the hybrid form. But, we don’t see why a hybrid won’t join the lineup in the future. The LC300 might not have a hybrid option for now, but the Tundra sure does.
The same 3.5-liter V-6 is paired to an electric motor to create a hybrid engine. Called the i-Force Max, it churns out 437 horses and 583 pound-feet of twist. The LX600h, whenever it comes, could make a little more power than the Tundra’s output. As for the transmission, a 10-speed automatic gearbox is pretty much a guaranteed option.
What’s So Special About The Land Cruiser 300?
The Land Cruiser 300 is new on the inside and outside. It isn’t coming to the U.S., but the Lexus LX600 will be a better-dressed and well-mannered LC300. This is what the Land Cruiser 300 is all about:
- Based on a new GA-F platform based on the TNGA that underpins other Toyota products like the Tundra
- 440 pounds lighter than the previous model
- Upgraded suspension setup with an electronic kinetic dynamic suspension system
- Diesel and gas 3.5-liter, twin-turbo V-6 engines
- Diesel option makes 304 ponies and 516 pound-feet of twist
- Gas option produces 409 horses and 479 pound-feet of torque
- Both options mated to a ten-speed automatic gearbox
- Multi-terrain monitor and Multi-terrain select function for improved off-roading
- Boxier style with a prominent grille
- Redesigned bumpers
- Landscape-oriented touchscreen system inside
- Flip-down third-row seats instead of flip-sideways
- The 2021 Land Cruiser 200 was priced at $85,600. This one would’ve been around $90,000 in the U.S.
While the LC fans may not be very happy about it, the Lexus LX600 is actually an upgrade over the Land Cruiser. It is a plusher and more ‘Lexus-urious’ offering. Could it do what the Land Cruiser couldn’t and get better numbers on the sales chart? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section. Also, don’t forget to tune back here on 14th to learn all about the new Lexus LX600.
Most Related Links :
Business News Governmental News Finance News