The 2021 Kentucky Derby will be the 147th run for the roses. Keeping track of all the latest Kentucky Derby workouts and news from the backside of Churchill Downs can be a daunting task.
We’ll track it all here for you in the lead up to the first Saturday, complete with our Kentucky Derby cheat sheet. The downloadable pdf is an easy one-stop-shop reference point for useful information on each horse in the field.
2021 Kentucky Derby Cheat Sheet
Click to download TheLines.com 2021 Kentucky Derby Cheat Sheet, with the latest info on each horse, including trainer, jockey and Kentucky Derby points.
Estimated odds are also included, as well as Beyer Speed figures most recent race results and available Kentucky Derby workout times.
Kentucky Derby workouts tracker and news
Tuesday, April 20th
- Trainer Brad Cox confirmed Arkansas Derby runner-up Caddo River will run in the Kentucky Derby. He’s scheduled to work Saturday. “He came out of the Arkansas Derby in great shape. He’s a sound horse who is training well,” said Cox.
- Trainer Todd Pletcher plans to work his four Derby horses – Known Agenda, Bourbonic, Dynamic One and Sainthood – Saturday if the weather in Louisville cooperates. “We will watch that and could move the works to Friday,” said Pletcher.
- Highly Motivated, runner-up to likely Kentucky Derby favorite Essential Quality in the Blue Grass Stakes, made his first appearance on the Churchill Downs main track. He galloped with no issue after arriving Monday. “He got around there good this morning, and I am pleased with the way he shipped in,” said trainer Chad Brown.
- King Fury galloped a mile and a half shortly after 5:30am, still working towards the Derby despite sitting No. 21 in points. He would need one horse currently in the field of 20 to drop out of the race to get in the starting gate.
- Keepmeinmind galloped a mile and a half before dawn. He would need two defections to get into the field, currently sitting No. 22 on the Road to the Kentucky Derby leaderboard.
- Super Stock galloped about 1 3/8 miles and is scheduled to work Saturday.
- O Besos will have his final Derby workout Wednesday or Thursday. The son of Orb is the only colt from a Kentucky Derby winner in this year’s field. “The first time I worked this horse I couldn’t believe he won going six furlongs,” said jockey Marcelino Pedroza. “He loved the extra distance in the Louisiana Derby.”
Monday, April 19th
- Midnight Bourbon worked five furlongs in 59.8 seconds, the fastest of 13 other horses to work that distance at Churchill Downs Monday. He ran through fractions of :12.40, :24 and :35.60 in his first three furlongs. The Louisiana Derby runner-up galloped out six furlongs in 1:12.80 and completed seven furlongs in 1:26, according to Churchill Downs clocker John Nichols. It was an eventful day, as Midnight Bourbon also briefly broke loose outside his stable.
- For Kentucky Derby workout times before Monday, April 19th, please reference our Kentucky Derby Cheat Sheet above.
Business News Governmental News Finance News