The New York Rangers have left no doubt they’re furious over the fact that the NHL Department of Player Safety failed to suspend Washington Capitals forward Tom Wilson following his actions on Monday and instead hit the repeat offender with a $5,000 fine for roughing Pavel Buchnevich, a penalty that didn’t address Wilson’s dangerous slam of Artemi Panarin.
In a statement released on Tuesday, the Rangers mentioned Wilson’s history of dangerous play, said they wanted him indefinitely suspended and suggested Department of Player Safety head George Parros should step down or be fired.
TSN shared the full statement:
“The New York Rangers are extremely disappointed that Capitals forward Tom Wilson was not suspended for his horrifying act of violence last night at Madison Square Garden. Wilson is a repeat offender with a long history of these type of acts and we find it shocking that the NHL and their Department of Player Safety failed to take the appropriate action and suspend him indefinitely. Wilson’s dangerous and reckless actions caused an injury to Artemi Panarin that will prevent him from playing again this season. We view this as a dereliction of duty by NHL Head of Player Safety, George Parros, and believe he is unfit to continue in his current role.”
Panarin is listed out with a lower-body injury through the conclusion of the season. The Rangers are eliminated from postseason play.
Earlier in the day, Rangers center Ryan Strome said it was “a joke” Wilson received a fine but no ban. “I think it sends a bad message, in my opinion,” Strome explained. “I think everyone pretty much agrees with that. I just think that the league missed one here big-time. It’s unfortunate our best player is out for the rest of the year.”
The Rangers and Capitals play again Wednesday night.