Sports

Report: Dodgers’ Bauer facing assault allegations

Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander Trevor Bauer is facing allegations of assault by a woman stemming from previous sexual encounters earlier this year, according to a report by TMZ on Tuesday.

The woman was granted a temporary domestic violence restraining order in L.A. County Superior Court, according to the report. Bauer has denied the allegations.

The Pasadena police department said it is investigating the incident, which it says occurred May 16. The case could be turned over to the district attorney’s office as soon as Wednesday, a source told ESPN, at which point a decision would be made on whether the case will move forward.

Bauer’s attorney, Jon Fetterolf, released a lengthy statement to ESPN denying any wrongdoing on behalf of his client. In the statement, Fetterolf described the relationship as “consensual” and called the woman’s allegations “baseless” and “defamatory.”

ESPN has chosen not to name the woman, though Fetterolf named her in his statement.

“Mr. Bauer had a brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship initiated by [the woman] beginning in April 2021,” Fetterolf said in the statement. “We have messages that show [the woman] repeatedly asking for ‘rough’ sexual encounters involving requests to be ‘choked out’ and slapped in the face. In both of their encounters, [the woman] drove from San Diego to Mr. Bauer’s residence in Pasadena, Calif., where she went on to dictate what she wanted from him sexually and he did what was asked.”

According to Fetterolf, Bauer and the woman had two encounters, and she continued to message him with “friendly and flirtatious banter.” But after their second encounter, Fetterolf said, the woman shared photos of herself and indicated to Bauer that she had “sought medical care for a concussion.” Bauer respond with “concern and confusion,” Fetterolf said, and the woman was “neither angry nor accusatory.”

“Mr. Bauer and [the woman] have not corresponded in over a month and have not seen each other in over six weeks,” Fetterolf said in his statement. “Her basis for filing a protection order is nonexistent, fraudulent, and deliberately omits key facts, information, and her own relevant communications. Any allegations that the pair’s encounters were not 100% consensual are baseless, defamatory, and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Major League Baseball has been made aware of the allegations and will look into the matter, a source said.

A message seeking comment from the woman’s attorney was not returned.

The woman’s agent, Marc Garelick, told TMZ that his client “sought and obtained an order for protection from the court against Mr. Bauer” under the Domestic Violence Protection Act, adding that his client “suffered severe physical and emotional pain” as a result of “a recent assault.”

Bauer, the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner with the Cincinnati Reds, signed a three-year, $102 million contract that includes two player options with the Dodgers in February. The Dodgers didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Most Related Links :
Business News Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button