UK-news

Armed police ‘arrest Afghan special forces commando at Manchester hotel where he was quarantining’

Armed police ‘arrest Afghan special forces commando at Manchester hotel where he was quarantining with his family after being evacuated from Kabul’

  • Unnamed man arrested in pre-dawn raid on or around August 31 or September 1 
  • He is still being held but it is not clear why he was arrested or if charges brought
  • Suspects can be held for 96 hours over serious crimes or 14 days if terror-related 


An Afghan special forces commando has been arrested by armed police at a Manchester hotel where he was quarantining with his family. 

Armed officers stormed the hotel in a pre-dawn raid on or around August 31 or September 1, it has been revealed. 

The unnamed individual is reported to still be in detention although it is not yet known if he has been charged with a crime

The motivation for the arrest is not being shared by the authorities.

Police can hold a suspect for up to 96 hours without charge if suspected of a serious crime – which is extended to 14 days if they have been arrested under terrorism legislation.

It has now been more than a week since the suspect was arrested.  

The male suspect had arrived to the UK with his family from an evacuation flight from Kabul (file photo of Kabul evacuation)

The man had arrived to the UK with his family from an evacuation flight from Kabul, reports Sky News.   

The Home Office and the Ministry of Defence declined to comment.

A government spokesperson said: ‘We don’t comment on individual cases’. 

The suspect was placed in the hotel as part of Britain’s Covid-19 travel traffic light system, which lists Afghanistan on the red list.

It means anyone returning from the country must check into government-mandated quarantine accommodation.    

A source said the suspect was taken away in handcuffs following the armed police raid in the early hours of the morning. 

When contacted for comment, Greater Manchester Police referred the request to the Home Office.

It comes after the UK evacuated more than 15,000 Afghans, British nationals and others from Kabul in just two weeks last month following the Taliban takeover. 

Around 24 hours before the suspect’s arrest, former commander of British troops in Afghanistan Colonel Richard Kemp said the UK faced ‘the greatest danger from terrorism since Islamic State at its height’.

He told Times Radio that the threat could be bigger than that posed by ISIS and Britain faces an ‘extremely dangerous’ situation.

He said the Taliban ‘will allow and probably encourage jihadists to pour into the country from around the world, who plan, meet, prepare, train, organise and carry out strikes against the West from Afghanistan.’

Col Kemp previously urged the Government to raise the threat level to severe as he warned there is an ‘immediately increased threat from British jihadists inspired and motivated by events in Afghanistan’. 

Advertisement

Most Related Links :
Business News Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button