The family of Tamara Abdul Rahman are distraught after she died following a bite from a snake at her home in the city of Abha in Saudi Arabia. She was rushed to hospital where her condition worsened
A six-year-old girl has been bitten and killed by a snake that had slithered into the toilet of the bathroom at her home in Saudi Arabia.
The family of Tamara Abdul Rahman, have said that they were shocked that a snake had got into the house in the city of Abha in the south-western Saudi Arabian region of ‘Asir Province on Wednesday.
The girl’s distraught father, who did not want to be named, said that she had not seen the snake as it was not something to be expected.
She was taken to the Asir Central Hospital where her condition quickly worsened and she was subsequently moved to the intensive care unit where she died shortly afterwards.
Her dad said she had been so pleased to return to the classroom following the easing of Covid restrictions before the tragedy struck.
He said: “She was happy to return to in-person learning at school, but what (is there) to say. It is Allah’s wish.
“The snake was lurking in the bathroom in our house for my daughter, and given the girl’s age, she did not notice that it was in the toilet until she was bitten by it, amid the family’s astonishment as we never expected to see such animals in the toilet, especially as we live in Abha City.
“She was taken to hospital and was admitted and treated, but fate was not on her side. She died despite receiving medical care after going through difficult health conditions.”
He added: “I believe in Allah and I am satisfied with everything. He writes for us.”
There are many snakes in desert and mountainous regions in Saudi Arabia, both venomous and non-venomous.
The country’s venomous snakes mostly belong to the viper family and include the carpet viper, the saw-scaled viper, the Persian horned viper, and horned vipers. Vipers can be identified by their diamond-shaped heads.
Meanwhile, a British dad was blinded after being bitten twice by one of the world’s deadliest snakes, while he was also battling his second bout of coronavirus.
Social enterprise CEO Ian Jones was hospitalised for three weeks in northern India last year after being bitten by a black king cobra.
The 50-year-old, who lives in the village of Niton on the Isle of Wight, passed in and out of a coma and was given anti-venom, oxygen and CPR in order to survive.
Doctors told him he was incredibly lucky to survive the double bite from the king cobra – which has enough venom in one bite to kill 20 men.